Your browser (Internet Explorer 7 or lower) is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how to update your browser.


Navigate / search

Selective Service

Register On-Line
The easiest and fastest way to register is to register on-line.

Register at the Post Office
Selective Service “mail-back” registration forms are available at any U.S. post office. A man can fill it out, sigh (leaving the space for your Social Security Number blank, if you have not yet obtained one*), affix postage, and mail it to Selective Service, without the involvement of the postal clerk. Men living overseas may register at any U.S. embassy or consular office.
*Provide your Social Security Number to the Selective Service when you obtain one.

Register By Mail
A young man may also register by filling out a reminder Mail-back card. Selective Service sends this card to many young men around the time they turn 18. Mail-back cards are also available at some post offices. A man can fill out the card at home, and mail it directly to Selective Service. Forms should be sent to:
Selective Service System
Registration Information Office
P.O. Box 94638
Palatine, IL 60094-4638

Register By Checking the Box on a Form
Another way a young man can register is by checking a box on the application form for Federal Student Financial Aid (FASFA). A man can check yes on box #29 of that form, and the Department of Education will furnish Selective Service with the information to register the man.

Register At The High School
More than half the high schools in the nation have a staff member or a teacher appointed as a Selective Service Registrar. These individuals help register male high school students. See also Proof of Registration.